Skip to main content

Helping hand

So I had an appointment with a GP today. He was friendly but I was quite shocked that he couldn't differentiate between antigens and antibodies.

So I asked him, 'Err, with this pathology, do they use the 4th gen test? The one that looks for antigens and antibodies?'

And he replied, 'I think for the general, first-line screening, they always look for the antigens first'.

Looked up his profile on the clinic's website. More than 10 years of experience. Unbelievable.

Anyway, on the pathology test request form, it was printed as Ag/Ab.

Will go back tomorrow evening for the results. Hopefully everything will be fine.

So, on my way home, while waiting for the green light at a junction, an old man approached me and asked if I could speak canto. I nodded.

He was holding an envelope. And on it, there was this address. He told me he wanted to go to this building (with a Canto name).

With the address, I used Google map to locate the place and found out that it was just close by.

Initially, I pointed him to the right direction but still he looked a bit lost. So I offered to bring him to the place.

It was a medical appointment. On arrival, I was surprised to find out that the doctor that he was seeing has the same chinese surname as mine!

My chinese surname is kinda rare.

I felt quite happy, seriously, for being able to help him. I felt that the happiness I got from it temporarily masked the worries I had.

I always feel more connected to the elderly. Probably because of my grandparents. They are the best!

I still couldn't forget my Grandpa. That night in hospital when he passed away. I could still remember clearly how hard he tried to open his eyelids to have a last look at his grandchildren. I remember how I burst into tears the moment I got into the ward, knowing that he would be leaving us very soon.

I still teared when I thought about him. He's the greatest.

Had a meeting tonight. Just got involved in an organisation (probably shouldn't disclose too much here), and was asked to contribute ideas regarding projects for newly arrived gay Asian men.

Bought a thermometer today. Have been taking my body temperature. Should be normal but am feeling a bit warm.

Could it be due to the Chinese Medicine I had? It's the Shen Qi Wan my aunt gave me. Didn't dare to take it till tonight coz I was afraid it would affect the test accuracy.


Comments

  1. I think a lot of doctors forget the basics after a while. Still unacceptable though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How long is 20 months?

It's been almost a year since I last wrote. So what prompted me to write again? I still haven't gotten over Jay. He left in June 16? Yes, its now March 18. Shocking right,? How can someone, especially someone like me who can be so determined in my career and studies, who is so rational in all other material aspects, fail to marshal the power to put an end to it. I wanted to write, to remind myself how much time has passed, as his second birthday post our breakup is coming up. Last year, I mailed him a gift and a card. There was no reply. He finally agreed to meet over lunch about half a year ago? I texted him on a monthly basis to say hello. He would give me a simple reply if he felt like it. There was this perpetual urge to see him, to talk to him. I took photos of the baked goods I made. I used the 'save' feature on Facebook to save cute or funny videos. I hoped one day I would have the opportunity to show him all these. How foolish. I noticed I did ...

Life Too Gay

Secret Santa. Christmas gift 2013 to one of my housemates.  Had a test yesterday.  Went to the nearby Myer department store to look for a gift for the Secret Santa event at my accommodation. Budget was $10. Saw a lot of cute little inventions, most of them averaged around $20. Could have gotten something within budget but it wouldn't be as interesting so I decided to get this little duckling infuser. It's sightly over budget ($15) but it's worth the while because I think he likes it! (I think he still doesn't know that it's from me, he's also gay by the way) Gay much?  I got a box of chocolates, an assortment of mini mars bars, milky way, M&Ms, etc. To be honest, I didn't like it! I have been trying to avoid chocolates, so that I don't have to take in unnecessary calories. My chocolate quota is reserved for really down moments, when I really need to up my mood. But I still put up a smile la, my secret santa must be looking at me when I unw...

I am free!

Submitted my thesis last week. Worked till 6am, sent my final draft to my supervisor, and went to bed. Didn't really sleep though, as I set my alarm at 8am, and by then, my supervisor had already emailed me the final edits required. I incorporated the final changes, and saved a few copies to my pen drives, to dropbox, before I showered and headed off to uni to print. Deadline was at 12pm, I was at the print shop at around 10.30am. It was a super cheerful asian lady. The print shop was empty, probably because it was Stuvac. Printed the entire thing in colour, cost me a fortune. But luckily the lady kindly gave me some discounts, so nice of her. Took a few photos of them before I handed them in. Uni is finally over!!! ...OR probably not??! One of the best things being with Jay, is that he is interesting. He's smart. Because, you know, I am already smart, so I need someone smarter for some stimulation. (Just kidding!! :-p) I called him right after I finished posting the ph...